Xstrata coal is encouraging Communities to submit sustainable projects for evaluation and possible financial support. Proposals will be evaluated based on the following broad categories:
- Enterprise Development and Job creation
- Education Training and Development
- Health Care Provision ( inc HIV/AIDS)
- Crime Prevention
The following are the Sustainable Community driven projects identified by Tweefontein Complex Xstrata Coal:
- Scrap Metal (Under feasibility study and evaluation)
Xstrata Coal has appointed SME Consultant/ Specialist (Ian McDougall) from BEEcho to identify Entrepreneurs around Phola Community (demarcated for Tweefontein) who can drive this project to ensure that the following is achieved:
- Job opportunities
- Business growth/ opportunities for Entrepreneurship
- Strengthen Community and Xstrata Coal relationship
- MK Metals as a Local group has been identified as a potential partner.
- Pro Africa Food (Under feasibility study and evaluation)
Pro Africa in partnering and in collaboration with Xstrata Coal intents opening a Warehouse at Phola that will supply the mines, business and communities around Phola with instant healthy powder meals like Mageu (in different flavours) , Porridge ( in different flavours) etc.
Community members who have interest and expertise in running this business were invited and short listed. Four potential local business groups were short listed and the successful group will be announced soon and necessary help in terms of financial support, Training and Develop will be taken into account if that need arises.
- The following Community driven projects in addition to the above mentioned have been identified:
- 3.1 VIP Cosmetics
To manufacture perfumes
17 Standards / HSEC audit – 89% (highest result in Xstrata Coal SA EMPR Audit – 90%)